Thursday, July 20, 2006

My GPS has set me free.

I had an epiphany this evening as I swooped through the forest to get to a local bike night.

My GPS has set me free.

It used to be that I was locked into a predetermined route, too scared of getting lost to dare to explore. I rode along, encumbered by traffic and freaking out at the thought of missing my exit or making a wrong turn.

I know that some people can handle and even enjoy riding off into the complete unknown, but I never have. Always, I must have a plan.

Case in point:

My usual route to this particular bike night is straight up I45 with a left on Highway 105. It’s simple, easy, and absolutely boring. But it’ll get me there every time. I *know* this route.

The problem is that I45 is currently under construction between The Woodlands and Conroe. It narrows down to a very slow two lane that is torture on my clutch hand.

Tonight I decided to try something different. On a whim, I exited at 1488 and headed west. I knew that somewhere along that highway would be an opportunity to go north. I knew this because I had a dim recollection that I had crossed 1488 on a recent “fun” ride.

Sure enough, a few miles in I came to the intersection with Egypt-Honea Rd. I’d been on it before and I knew it was curvy and scenic. It wouldn’t get me all the way to Montgomery, but it would get me close and connect to a road that would.

Sure enough. I arrived safely and within my desired time frame.

If I hadn’t had the gps, I doubt I’d have dared to try something different, too afraid of being late to the event. Thus, the GPS has set me free to explore new territory without stressing.

No comments: